I think we can all agree that the root word for “inclusiveness” is “include”. Looking up the definition of this root word is not as simple as you would think. I have 4 large dictionaries, from three different countries, and none of them have the same definition.
When the word “inclusiveness” is used, particularly when it applies to a society, and taking into account it’s root word, include”, does it mean everyone in that society? If that logic is correct, is it possible to pick out one part of that society over any other part and promote it, and, at the same time, call it an “inclusive action”? Could one logically think that such actions are exactly the opposite of what the word “include” means?
Having raised the above thoughts for discussion, I ask the following questions:
- Does any society as a whole benefit from promoting a particular group over any other group?
- Is it correct to say that dividing a society into groups and not treating all equally is consistent with the word “include”?
- Why does any group believe it should be singled out over any group?
- Are most of these individual groups in the minority?
- Is there any societal benefit from promoting the concept of “them and us”?
- Should a society work towards common standards and goals for all groups within that society?
- Is so called “inclusiveness”, as is commonly actioned, fair to the majority outside those groups?
- Should all sections of society be treated equally?
- Is promoting minority groups, under the banner of being “inclusive”, fair?
- Why do these groups have a commonality to each other in most western countries?
- What is the reason most modern western societies are going down this divisive track?
- Is there a better, fairer, more equal and more democratic way to achieve true inclusiveness?
While there is some overlap between a number of these questions, I would like to see what logical answers are out there for any of them.
Remember, this is not a social media site. You are welcome to agree or disagree with any of the above and no harm is done. I ask for any and all thoughts on the matters raised, as I have not got the answers.
In the meantime, all the best.